Sunday, May 26, 2013

This year's tomato varieties.... red, black, yellow and orange, oh my!

There are only two of us in my household, my husband and myself. However, that doesn't stop me from growing several strains of tomatoes. I'm lucky enough to live near enough to the Fullerton Arboretum to attend their Annual Tomato and Pepper sale. I say lucky, but it's also a curse. This sale has well over one hundred different tomato strains available. I find it very difficult to choose which plant to buy. Each one tempts me.

Before the sale I do a quick search of some of the tomato strains. There is a list available prior to the sale. This year I tried be more logical in my approach. I looked for early, mid and late season plants. In the past, not having paid attention, I had all late season plants and the wait was almost unbearable. I picked a many plants that were said to be desirable for container gardens. However, I didn't let my use of containers deter me from selecting other varieties too. Lastly, I did google which tomato strains were the tastiest. Let's face it, that's the ultimate goal. I'd rather have one delicious tomato then a plentiful harvest of beautiful looking bland tasting ones. My only regret is I did not buy one in each of the colors available. If you thought red was the only color, you are surely mistaken. Tomatoes can be found in a variety of colors such as; green, white, black, purple, yellow, orange, striped and more!

Ok, on to this year's picks. (I'm happy to report I have tomatoes on each plant with the exception of the late season Aramana.) Each of the brief descriptions below are borrowed from various websites. 

Rutgers Tomato - Heirloom Mid Season (Red)

The legendary New Jersey tomato. Its flavor is unequaled. Deep rich red fruits are slightly flattened and medium size, weighing 6-8 oz. This is one of those classic tomatoes that has been used as a parent in the breeding of many other hybrids.

Black Prince Tomato - Heirloom Mid Season (Purple-Black)

From Irkutsk, Russia this is one of the most popular black tomatoes. The fruit produced are 2-inch (2-3 oz) deep garnet red tomatoes full of juice and fruity flavors. Perfect for patio gardens.

Black Sea Man Tomato - Heirloom Mid Season (Purple-Black)

Also from Russia, this tomato is loved for its wonderful color and succulent sweetness. It produces yields of 8 oz slightly plum shaped fruit. it's has brown-black skin with pink inside. This plant is bushy and also perfect for your patio. 

Bush Champion Tomato - Early Season (Red)

Huge and heavy bearing, this hybrid starts to produce early in the season. The solid meaty flesh with very few seeds and reach 1-2 pounds. It has an intense flavor that is perfect for burgers. 

Armana Orange Tomato - Heirloom Late Season (Orange)

Huge beefsteak produces beautiful light-orange, irregular shaped fruit that can grow to 2 pounds or more and average 5 inches in diameter. Excellent sweet, almost tropical fruit flavor. 

Clint Eastwood Rowdy Red Tomato - Mid Season (Red)

That's right, Clint Eastwood has his own tomato. This plant produces 2 inch 6-10 oz deep red round tomatoes with a subtle point on its end. The fruit has a robust bold flavor with a sweetness that is perfectly balanced with plenty of acidity.

Sweet Gold Tomato - Early Season (Yellow/Gold)

A standard size tomato that ripens to orange and have a very sweet succulent flavor. Fruits set in large clusters of a dozen or more and grow to 1/2 inch. This one is my only cherry tomato variety this year. I picked the first one today and it was deliciously sweet as promised. 

Carmello Tomato - Mid Season (Red)

From France, this strain is among the most productive tomatoes ever bred. The fruit is 10-12 oz slicing tomatoes. It is the number one market tomato in Europe because of its good sugar/acid balance and crack resistant skin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment